Is it possible to make Fedora load faster?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Apr 4 11:56:04 UTC 2005

On 04/03/2005 11:25:19 AM, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:

> It isn't about "average" times - it is about the psychological
> effect.
> Users hate waiting for computers. But they *do* accept *some* waiting
> at
> boot - up to a certain amount. So just showing them a desktop - even
> if
> there wasn't much that could be done yet.

There is nothing I hate more about Windows than not being able to start
stuff because the desktop is there before the OS has finished booting.

With Linux - I can see it hasn't finished booting and refill my coffee
or something - and when the login prompt is there, I can login and
stuff works.

> Personally i think something should be done about the
> prelink/updatedb-makes-computer-slow thing - it always happens when
> it
> is least convenient...

Yeah - booted the other day to burn a DVD iso for someone - updatedb
started just at the very end of the burn - making a coaster of a fc3
dvd.

I killed anacron after that.

I believe fcron - as a single app replacement for cron and anacron -
allows you to specify what scheduled tasks should be rerun if scheduled
when the machine was down. That would be nice. I suppose it could be
done by modifying the updatedb cron script to just exit if its after 5
AM but before 3 AM or something ...

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/