Is it possible to make Fedora load faster?

Ziga Mahkovec ziga.mahkovec at klika.si
Mon Apr 4 13:32:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 10:08 +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> in theory we have that too. Except the "are we on battery" tests in the
> distro still assume APM and since we enabled ACPI this no longer works.
>
> we very much need a generic "am I on battery" app that internally can
> cope with both apm, acpi and any other thing other platforms might use,
> while giving a unified answer to the rest of the world.
>
> This is a case where the kernel should have provided an abstraction of
> the hardware, but didn't, and it's now mostly too late to fix that ;(

Laptop mode tools[1] looks like the right tool for the job.  Depending
on the battery status (using either acpid or apmd) it
triggers /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode to spin down the hard drive.  It
shouldn't be too difficult to extend this to do other stuff, like
stopping crond and xscreensaver or cycle down the CPU.

[1] http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsamwel/laptop_mode/tools/index.html

--
Ziga