Is it possible to make Fedora load faster?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Apr 4 15:30:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 10:29 +0200, shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:
> could it manage services like pcmcia, isdn, networking, vncserver, gpm,
> httpd, mysql, ntop, webmin, usermin, ... ?

The idea is really that services need to ask some entity, as well
getting notifications, whether they should run at all, not the other way
around. See this message for details

 https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-April/msg00199.html

Once we have that piece of infrastructure we can start cleaning up these
IO/CPU hogs.

But I'm not really sure your example is interesting; typical users don't
run the mysql, httpd system-wide services on a desktop box (some might
run httpd in the desktop session for e.g. gnome-user-share). I think
this is primarily interesting for updatedb/makewhatis etc.

Cheers,
David