Unable to install macromedia flash player on x86_64 arch

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 00:01:18 UTC 2005

On Apr 4, 2005 5:31 PM, Kyrre Ness Sjobak <kyrre at solution-forge.net> wrote:
> Agreed. That is a problem. But if Windows is going to take the hit
> anyway, why not let'em ?

Because... open source 64bit development should not wait for MS or any
other proprietary vendor to catch up.

> Have you ever trying to convince a newb. into using a 32-bit distro
> *because it's often simpler*? Not? Can i give him your email next time
> it happens? :)

I don't try to convince anyone to do anything... I give them facts and
make suggestions I feel are in their best interests. If they are hell
bent on doing something the hard way...or against their best
interests... they get to enjoy a wonderful learning experience as well
as bruised pride while i dance around them singing the 'i told you so'
song.  If you are trying evangalize linux or fedora.. you are actually
doing linux, fedora and the person you are trying to "help" a
disservice by pushing people towards a set of technology tools that
are not necessarily a good match for them.

Holding back native 64bit application development because meathead
users can't make good choices and insist on on using a 64bit release
when they are better off with a 32bit release is a poor tradeoff
between short term gains and long term goals.  Open source 64bit
native apps will never get better if they are not in use.. its as
simple as that.

Fedora, if its anything is about driving open source technologies
forward.. not stagnation.. and certaintly not stagnation for the sake
of access to fluffly closed source crap like flash plugins in a
browser.

You want flash that keeps up with the pace of fedora development...
start helping out with open source projects to re-implement an open
source implementation of flash. Making Fedora development and Fedora
releases dependant on the performance of ANY closed source vendor
solution is absolutely absurd.. whether it be Sun's java, Nvidia's
drivers or Macromedia's flash.

> While talking about pointless: What is the point of having the browser
> 64-bit?

Whats the point of building any 64bit app that ships in FC?  I'm sure
a browser enjoys similar benefits as gaim or xchat when compiled
natively for 64bit.

-jef"its perfectly acceptible to point people to other distributions
than fedora core. The aggresive release schedule and the aggressive
development focus means fedora core is not and will not be the best
fit for every potential user."spaleta