New xfs (X font server) initscript for testing. Should work in all Fedora Core OS releases, as well as RHL 8 and RHEL3 and newer. Please test!

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Tue Apr 5 02:40:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 18:07, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > I'd like to hear both BAD *and* GOOD feedback from whoever
> > tests this, so if you test it and do not notice anything
> > different, please respond to let me know that also.
> > If you notice any regressions with this initscript
> > compared to the previous one you were using, please
> > respond with full details of the problem, and exact
> > error messages you see (if any).  Also indicate if
> > you are using only stock OS supplied fonts, or fonts
> > you have added yourself.  It'd be particularly good
> > to hear feedback from people using lots of 3rd party
> > fonts, as we do not normally have such fonts for
> > testing purposes internally.
>
> On FC3 i386 (stock fonts, stock everything.)
>
> # ./xfs restart
> Restarting xfs:
> Shutting down xfs:                                         [  OK  ]
> Starting xfs: ./xfs: line 56: [: missing `]'
>                                                            [  OK  ]

Huh me too.  first glance I can't see what the deal is.  I simply did
wget url and moved it.  Of course I also had to make it executable.

here is the orig line 56:

   [ -x "$FC_CACHE" ] HOME=/ "$FC_CACHE" $d

here is one with the change I made to get it to work (added &&)

   [ -x "$FC_CACHE" ] && HOME=/ "$FC_CACHE" $d

Is there some environment var. that is letting this work on some boxes
and not others?

FYI this is on a ppc box although I can't see why that would make a
difference.

Bret