XMMS (was: Re: rawhide report: 20050405 changes)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 17:48:35 UTC 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 12:38 PM, Mike Bird <mgb-fedora at yosemite.net> wrote:
> IIRC, I started with RH6 and tested every release except FC1.

Thats great! You'll be an excellent addition to the community effort
to QA Extras.
As soon as your prepared... the fedora-extras-list is there for you to
participate in regarding package submissions that need review.

> Unit and link level QA are possible in Extras but those are the
> responsibility of maintainers.  System level QA is impossible because
> Extras/Devel has still not been fully rebuilt with gcc4/python2.4/etc to
> match FC4t1 - despite the passage of several weeks.

arent you assuming that all of fc4t1 was actually rebuilt with gcc4?
xmms is at least one package that was never rebuilt with gcc4 but made
it into fc4t1.  Packages are built in Extras development when package
maintainers request a rebuild, in effect not very different than how
core development tree sort of works. I really don't see a big
difference between how Core development and Extras development tree
operates, as viewed as a package consumer.
If you want a package rebuilt in the Extras devel tree.. file a bug or
contact the package maintainer and have them make a rebuild request.
There is an established process for maintainers to request rebuilds.

> Back when the world was young, ten seconds at the command line would
> have scheduled all those rebuild jobs.

Its a matter of opinion as to whether or not a mass rebuild is worth
attempting 'right now.'  If you feel strongly about this.. why haven't
you chimed in in on the fedora-extras-list when the issue of a mass
rebuild came up?

> Then again, there is the problem of packages being removed from Core
> with the notion that sometime maybe they'll arrive in Extras.
Would you prefer they were just dropped and no centralized place for
these packages to be maintained? With or without extras.. some
decisions to cut packages from Core will have to be made, like they
have always been made.

> were more than a broken promise, it would be equivalent in all respects
> to Core - except not shipped on the Core CD's.

You have a choice to make, you can either pitch in and start helping
with the Extra process now, or you can walk away.  Pointing out that
its not yet as good as it could be or it should be isn't as helpful as
actually getting invovled in reviewing packages or filing bug reports
or talking to maintainers directly to get package build requests into
the build que.

-jef