rawhide report: 20050405 changes

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Apr 5 18:59:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 12:40 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 01:30:30PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > > But ever if they are correct this is really not the place where yum
> > > is spending its time.  Running test transactions
> >
> > yum does NOTHING while rpm is testing the transaction.
>
> Ok, so this an accounting issue but the fact that you can charge time
> elsewhere does not mean very much from POV of a yum _user_.  One
> starts yum and waits for it to finish.  That detail that really some
> subprocess is busy instead does not make an overall wait shorter.
> If yum itself is responsible only for a small fraction of that time
> then optimizing it has a negligible overall on its practical use.

Perhaps it's negligible to you right now.  I prefer to see it as
thinking ahead to the next bottleneck.  The bottleneck of the test
transaction isn't being ignored, it's just a harder problem that's going
to take longer to fix.  Slow, steady and incremental progress while
that's being done still helps.

Also, yum has uses other uses than just installing the packages.  In
those cases, this change can provide a much more noticeable boost.

Jeremy