XMMS (was: Re: rawhide report: 20050405 changes)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 02:54:42 UTC 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 10:25 PM, Mike Bird <mgb-fedora at yosemite.net> wrote:
> Creating a separate Extras environment is counter-productive.
> Extras should be as close as possible to Core in order to benefit
> from synergies and existing tools and to improve coordination.

I think everyone is aware of the ideal situation. Shall we
collectively hold our breath waiting for it to be ideal?  You aren't
telling anyone anything they aren't aware of.. but thanks for the
recap never-the-less.   "as-close-to-possible" right now.. is exactly
what we have. It will get better in the future. If its not good enough
for you yet.. you can either pitch in and help with the tasks at hand
making it easier for the people who are actively participating to work
on other items that need doing or you can wait. The continued
rehashing of the current problems isn't particular constructive.

>   (2) Extras packages should have varying but clearly
>       specified degrees of testing, perhaps in three tiers:
>     Gold   - As good as Core but not shipped with Core.
>     Silver - Rebuilt and tested in coordination with Core.
>     Bronze - Rebuilt with core but QA has not signed off.

as good as core? wtf does that mean exactly? why is core automatically
assumed to be better than all extras packages? if you want a QA sign
off that takes manpower....manpower that is currently lacking. I don't
even think Core has a package by package QA signoff at this point
before a release. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I CHALLENGE you to get invovled with Extras QA discussion in
fedora-extras-list and start providing the manpower that can be
counted on later as part of your ideal process statement. If manpower
to do QA signoff doesn't show up, i seriously doubt QA signoff is
going to be enshrined as part of the Extras process. If QA signoff is
important to you, then you need to start digging into the current
package review process and showing to everyone currently contributing
to Extras that you are committed to your ideal.

-jef"I'm going to hold my breath waiting for this thread to end"spaleta