Yum refused to start after upgrade: "The yum libraries do not seem to be available"

Robin Green greenrd at presidium.org
Wed Apr 6 20:38:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2005 1:40 PM, Robin Green <greenrd at presidium.org> wrote:
>> Just upgraded glibc and libxml2 from rawhide (and a few others, although I
>> think those ones are most likely to be the culprits), and now yum won't
>> start. It says:
>
> i just did todays updates in about 4 iterations.
> yum was still working for me after the glibc update.
> the last update i did was the openoffice stuff... all of it installed fine.
> and my yum still appears to work. i can install new things with it..

It looks like the new glibc had only installed part-way. I think this was
something to do with running on xen and having a very hacky workaround for
the /lib/tls issues.

I fixed it by booting from a rescue disk, uninstalling both old and new
versions of glibc, and installing the new version again.

Now yum works - at least on normal linux - haven't tried xen0-linux yet.

--
Robin