Up2date not being maintained any longer?

Don Russell fedora-test at drussell.dnsalias.com
Thu Apr 7 06:30:18 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Is up2date still getting any attention?

I'd be happy if up2date just went away altogether.

I've always had problems with it not finding updates, even though it
reports there are xx updates available and the little red ball is
glowing nicely...

I know, I know, it's related to mirrors and who's in sync when etc.

But yum is so much more convenient...
	- easily added to daily/nightly cron so it's done automagically
	- automatically tries different mirrors as needed
	- simple command line entry "does it all": (as root)
		yum -y update

The ONLY thing up2date does that I like over yum, is up2date prompts me
for the root password as needed. yum just chokes and dies, it's last
words are "Help meeeeee, I'm not root..." :-)

So, su -c "yum -y up2date" and I'm back in business.

I like yum. It took me a while to start using it though... so thanks to
up2date for being such a PITA, I learned a better way. :-)

The little ball is cute.... keep that. :-)

Don Russell