xen and fedora

Shahzad Chohan shahzad.chohan at chasedevere.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 13:30:35 UTC 2005

Many thanks for your help Colin

Ok I've moved along now. Basically I get to the point where it wants to
start the init but it says :

INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit"
INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"
INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Any help with this would be appreciated

Many Thanks
Shaz

Colin Charles wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 12:33 +0100, Shahzad Chohan wrote:
>
>  > xm create -c rawhide
>
> Before running that, run something like:
>
> xm balloon 0 128
>
> That basically balloons down memory for the host OS (dom0) to 128MB of
> ram. What happens with Xen nowadays is that it allocates full amounts of
> system ram to the dom0, and this means it can't allocate anything at all
> for the guest
>
> 128 is just an arbritary number. It can be higher or lower depending on
> your system ram and how much you want to give the guest os
>
>  > Using config file "/etc/xen/rawhide".
>  > Error: Error creating domain: (12, 'Cannot allocate memory')
>
> Said error message will disappear if you balloon down the memory then
> run xm create -c rawhide
>
>  > Here's my config files:
>  >
>  > /etc/xen/rawhide:
>  > kernel ="/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1225_FC4xenU"
>  > memory = 9
>
> You'll want more than 9MB of RAM for the guest. Really
>
>  > I'm running the following kernel:
>  > 2.6.11-1.1225_FC4xen0 SMP
>
> While Xen is enabled there, there are console issues I think that will
> somehow not allow you to get to a login console (or at least that was
> the case for me)
> --
> Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
> http://www.bytebot.net/
> "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you,
> then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi
>
> --

Chase de Vere Financial Solutions plc operates under the trading names of Chase de Vere Private Clients, Chase de Vere Employee Benefits and Moneyextra.
Chase de Vere Financial Solutions plc is an independent financial adviser and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Registered Office: 1 King Street, Manchester M2 6AW.  Registered in England No: 1723284  VAT No: 503 374571
A wholly owned subsidiary of AWD Group plc.  AWD Group plc is a member of AWD Holding AG, Europe's premier independent financial services group.

This message is intended for the named recipient only and is confidential
and no other person can place any reliance upon it.

The recipient acknowledges that transmissions made via the Internet can be
corrupted and therefore Chase de Vere Financial Solutions plc does not give
any warranty as to the quality or accuracy of any information contained in
this message or assumes any liability for it or for its transmission,
reception or storage.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept for the
presence of computer viruses.

Chase de Vere Financial Solutions plc is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority and is an independent financial adviser