gdm early login

Chuck R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Apr 7 14:23:23 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 08:35:24AM +0200, shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:
> Chuck R. Anderson wrote:
> >		rhgb	early-login
> >rhgb displayed	00:20	n/a
> >login screen	01:08	00:33
> >desktop ready	01:30	01:13
> >

> you saved a few seconds of my day.
> a user should wait  nearly 1 minute for the ready desktop?
> and this is a step forward?

No, those are absolute times from the start of bootup.  So, a total of
30 seconds before you can start logging in, and a grand total of 1
minute 13 seconds before you can start working on the system.

> i prefer to wait  90 sec for login screen and  20 sec for desktop on my
> systems.

Ok, I suppose you have to trade of when you'd like to wait.  Wait to
log in, or wait after logging in.  You can disable the early-login if
you don't like it.

> apropos, on the same hardware, 666/1333 mhz, powerbook g4
>
> Mac OS X
> 00 sec  -  boot
> 30 sec  -  login screen
> 20 sec  -  desktop ready
> ______
> 50 sec  -  vs  24 hours

You gave relative times, not absolute times as I did.  I'll convert:

		rhgb	early-login	OS X
rhgb displayed	00:20	n/a		n/a
login screen	01:08	00:33		00:30
desktop ready	01:30	01:13		00:50

50 sec vs. 73 sec is pretty good.  Definately an improvement over the
previous 90 seconds.  Still room for more improvement, but still
pretty good.