Preferences gone from main menu?

Richard Ramson rramson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 13:54:59 UTC 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 9:24 AM, Fulko.Hew at sita.aero <Fulko.Hew at sita.aero> wrote:

> I disagree.
> I never liked this 'my this', 'my that' style of presentation.
>
>   1/ its condescending,
>   2/ its so Microsoft'ish.
>   3/ you can effectively collect everything, everywhere into a 'my
> something'
>      kind of category if you tried, depending on your point of view.
>
> For example:
>
> a) the selection of desktop (KDE vrs Gnome) would be 'my'.
> b) timezone, if you ignore migratory working, could be 'my'.
> c) printer configuration could be a 'system' thing, but something like
>    whether or not a banner page is printed may be a system or a personal
>    preference.  Printer selection, could be a system thing, or it could
>    be a personal preference.
>
> When you look at this, you really have to remember that Linux/Unix _is_
> a multi-user platform, and the single user scenario is just a sub-set
> of its functionality.
>
> Lets look at the words being used:
>
> 'preferences' is a wishy-washy term implying what I would like to have
>               but may not get.  'I prefer to have it this way...'
>
> 'settings' is a 'hard' word. i.e. 'This is how its set!'
>
> Or to put it a different way; 'preferences' are things that are
> over-ridable,
> 'settings' are probably not.
>
> So I'd suggest something along the line of 'system settings' and 'personal
> preferences'.  I think this is more in tune with how the thing really
> works...
>   a) this is how the system is configure, and
>   b) this is what _I_ would prefer to see and use.
> and yes, some configuration may end up in two places, just like the
> 'systems'
> bash profile file, and the individual user's profile file.
>
> And no... god no... don't build a 'registry' approach!
>
> <soapbox on>
>
> Having said all that.  My suggestions are only for the English language
> speaking people, and there may not be the appropriate words in other
> languages.  And its probably contrary to what Microsoft does, and it sure
> seems to me that Linux developers today are developing towards doing
> and phrasing things just like Microsoft does, rather than to 'do it right'.
> And that bugs the @&$^*$ out of me!
>
> And before I get flamed about (lack of) participation.  I've got enough
> to keep myself busy with my own software, let alone go in and patch
> other's software.  My suggestions are just guidelines that I give to
> my developers at work, and hopefully I convince them of their merits
> and they don't get sucked into the 'dark side'.
>
> <soapbox off>
>
> --
I agree that Linux needs to set it's own standard and not follow
Microsoft.  Is it the thinking of some that in order to get more
people to start using Linux, they need to emulate Microsoft so that
users will be comfortable with Linux?   I don't subscribe to that
thinking.  I see KDE and Gnome as great GUI's that don't need to
conform to Microsoft to be accepted.  Sure things probably could be
laid out differently but for me, as one who knows UNIX, I would like
to see Linux move in a direction where it would be possible to
download some new package and have all the pieces in place for it.
For example if I download "greydog editor" I shouldn't have to go to
other sites to get other packages to make it work.  It should all be
there for me to download and use.  It seems like you need to have a
little programming experience in order to get a lot of things to work
in Linux.

As a new user to Linux, how do I know what packages I need to install
and what I need to leave out.  I remember a friend of mine went to
install PPTP and couldn't because he didn't install compliers on his
initial install.  I guess as time goes on and we keep improving on
Linux and more users start using it, things like this will change.
And while I'm on the subject, when are there going to be any US
magazines on Linux that is not geared toward programmers????  Most of
the good ones of from the U.K.   As a new user, I want to be able to
run some cool programs, learn how the programs I have works, but the
US Linux magazines want to talk about stuff that is way over my head.
After a year of reading those magazines I would probably understand
but how many new users have that much patience.

OK, I'm off my soap box.  :)  Keep up the good work  guys.  I love
LINUX, never going back to Microsoft cause I don't want to pay for
software :)