high temp?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Apr 10 17:05:28 UTC 2005

On Sunday 10 April 2005 12:33, Kjartan Maraas wrote:
>tor, 07,.04.2005 kl. 22.27 -0400, skrev Gene Heskett:
>> On Thursday 07 April 2005 19:45, Robbie Foust wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >Apr  7 04:29:06 localhost kernel: Critical temperature reached
>> > (95 C), shutting down.
>> >Apr  7 04:29:06 localhost shutdown: shutting down for system halt
>> >
>> >Any suggestions?  This seems to happen nightly on my IBM Thinkpad
>> > A31p, fc4t1.  :-( (yes the fan is working :-)
>>
>> Cron runs a bunch of housekeeping and maintainance utilities
>> starting at 4 AM.  Even if the fan is running, to hit 95C
>> indicates the unit needs more air, lots more air, or its full of
>> dust bunnies & needs an air hose taken to its internals.  95C is
>> very very hot indeed.
>
>Just checked my logs since I've had at least one spurious shutdown a
>short while after booting. No cron jobs running and the laptop was
>feeling cooler than it does normally after a couple of hours' use.
>
>[root at localhost vex]# grep "Critical temp" /var/log/messages.*
>/var/log/messages.1:Apr  5 12:01:49 localhost kernel: Critical
> temperature reached (114 C), shutting down. /var/log/messages.1:Apr
>  5 12:01:49 localhost kernel: Critical temperature reached (52 C),
> shutting down. /var/log/messages.2:Apr  2 14:04:57 localhost
> kernel: Critical temperature reached (119 C), shutting down.
> /var/log/messages.2:Apr  2 14:04:58 localhost kernel: Critical
> temperature reached (24 C), shutting down. [root at localhost vex]#
>
>Cheers
>Kjartan

I'll repeat, there is something seriously sick in that box, either in
the monitoring, or in the cooling.  Back to the vendor, carrying the
logs as evidence.  Since it reports 114C and 52C in the same exact
second, followed by much later, a 119C and 24C only one second later,
I'd suspect the monitoring itself is broken.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)