FC4t2 no good without LILO

Robin Green greenrd at presidium.org
Tue Apr 12 18:37:19 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Mike Bird wrote:
> If you like Grub on your desktop go ahead and use it.  I'm not the one
> trying to stop you from using the tools that work best for you.  The
> Fedora politburo is trying to dictate which boot loader, word processor,
> and spread sheet the rest of us should use.

Dictate? How exactly is removing a package from Fedora Core "dictating"
to anyone what they must use?

Fedora Core 4 is going to be how many CDs? There needs to be a sanity
limit on how much software is packaged as part of Fedora Core, tracked and
maintained by Red Hat. That's just a reality.

I don't think it's that hard to continue to use lilo. If you are
upgrading, simply choose "do not install a boot loader". If you are
installing from scratch, choose whatever, and then boot (from a rescue
disk if necessary) and install lilo yourself. Wouldn't that work for you?

> Please stop deliberately breaking things on religious grounds.

It's not about religion, it's about workload. Anyone who wants to see an
alternate bootloader in Fedora Extras has the option (yes, yes,
if they have the time) to put themselves forward as a possible maintainer.

--
Robin