FC4t2 no good without LILO

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 19:44:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 13:22 -0600, Guy Fraser wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-04 at 14:37 -0400, Robin Green wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Mike Bird wrote:
> > > If you like Grub on your desktop go ahead and use it.  I'm not the one
> > > trying to stop you from using the tools that work best for you.  The
> > > Fedora politburo is trying to dictate which boot loader, word processor,
> > > and spread sheet the rest of us should use.
> >
> > Dictate? How exactly is removing a package from Fedora Core "dictating"
> > to anyone what they must use?
>
> Not including software that used to be standard, when many people still
> need it, because GRUB doesn't work for them.

It was standard when there wasn't anything significantly better
available.  That time has long since gone.  Those people who still need
lilo, for whatever reason, would serve themselves better by helping
debug and fix things than by posting really whiny flames with an
unacceptable lack of detail about any real problems to the test list.

> > Fedora Core 4 is going to be how many CDs? There needs to be a sanity
> > limit on how much software is packaged as part of Fedora Core, tracked and
> > maintained by Red Hat. That's just a reality.
>
> Then drop Emacs and LateX they blow a metric tonne of space.

Now you're just trolling.  I've already said it's not about space.

> > > Please stop deliberately breaking things on religious grounds.
> >
> > It's not about religion, it's about workload. Anyone who wants to see an
> > alternate bootloader in Fedora Extras has the option (yes, yes,
> > if they have the time) to put themselves forward as a possible maintainer.
>
> Then drop GRUB.

That's a great joke, but please do try to join the rest of us in reality
at some point.

--
        Peter