Anaconda or Grub write a wrong grub.conf for my windows partition

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Apr 12 22:17:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-04 at 15:48 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 21:34 +0200, Cimmo wrote:
> > Peter Jones ha scritto:
> >
> > >You kind of imply it, but don't say so I'll ask -- you told anaconda
> > >there's another OS to boot as well, right?
> > >

> > Anaconda automatically recognize another OS but instead of putting
> > (hd0,0) it puts (hd1,0) that pointing to the PATA hdd, the storage one.
>
> Just wanted to be sure it was this not manually selecting it.  Can you
> be sure and put this info in the bug when you file it?
>
> > >Can you attach the /root/anaconda-ks.cfg, the /etc/grub.conf it writes
> > >out, and /boot/grub/device.map into the bug when you file it?
> >
> > Attacched here so you can see
>
> No, no, no.  In the bug, so it doesn't get lost completely if somebody
> else were to get assigned to fixing it, and so all the details are in
> one place.
>
> > >It's likely an anaconda failure, but it could still be it or "booty" at
> > >this point.
> >
> > booty? What is this?
>
> A package with code that does some parts of our bootloader installation.
>
> > >I don't think I've seen this as a bug, but there's always the chance we
> > >reduce this to some bug we've seen before -- go ahead and file it, if it
> > >turns out to be a dupe we can pick whichever report looks more useful to
> > >keep open, and the other one will still be available.
> >
> > Why not?
>
> Why not what?  I said to file it! :)
> --
>         Peter
It's not a bug, he's using the wrong equipment, because we all know
that all the bugs in GRUB are duplicates that don't affect any of
the developers, so the people experiencing them are just doing
something wrong.

Error XXXX obviously means you were messing with a perfectly good
setup and should have left it alone, as is plainly noted by the
message and documentation.