FC4t2 no good without LILO

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Apr 13 03:51:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 05:23:48PM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> So we have a package that is essential in some circumstances, that costs
> next to nothing to maintain, and that takes up <0.1% of a CD's space.

You're missing a huge part of the picture. Having lilo the package (even
though as you note, it's not really maintained) might not be much, but it
requires a lot of complicated kludgy infrastructure in the installer, and in
mkinitrd, etc., and makes kernel updates very fragile.

*That's* what makes the developers want to drop it -- it's not just to make
your life hard.