New 'ClearLooks' Artwork

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Wed Apr 13 04:46:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 14:32 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> I believe (but could be wrong) that the move to ClearLook is part of the
> philosophy of trying to follow upstream trends as much as possible for
> various packages.  With ClearLook set to become the default theme for
> Gnome it would appear that FC is following this upstream trend and using
> is as the default them for FC4.

I am not a fan aesthetically of BlueCurve (I always switch to
Industrial), but it is/was very important for one thing: it was both a
KDE theme and a GNOME theme. As far as I know (and I might easily be
wrong) ClearLook isn't. This strikes me as an odd decision on the part
of Red Hat. Following upstream is one thing, but FC is also meant to be
a testing ground for RHEL. Even if, like myself, one uses the default
GNOME desktop there are KDE applications which are offered as defaults
such K3B and kcron. Having a unifying theme is a usability plus. Why
abandon the work on a unified theme for both GNOME and KDE? I don't get
it. Surely BlueCurve could've been tweaked and hacked to work around
whatever the dissatisfactions with it were.

Best, Darren