Router discovery fails on startup

Al Kroeger owaugly at xmission.com
Wed Apr 13 10:59:09 UTC 2005

Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 09:20 +0200, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>router discovery (rdisc) fails on startup. It seems, that
>>/etc/sysconfig/rdisc is missing.
>>
>>Roger
>>

>     Hello Roger,
>
>     I have been having the same problem as well.  I have a mixed
>wireless-ethernet network and for some reason, when I start up my
>wireless laptop (an IBM ThinkPad T30), there is a problem with finding
>the router.  I can still connect to the internet but I have to do so
>manually each time I log in.   A minor inconvenience but an
>inconvenience nevertheless.
>
>Jeff

I saw that 'FAILED' scroll by on boot, and thought I had a problem.  I
have a NETGEAR RP614 v3 router after my dsl modem.  But everything
works.  I can connect.  But I continued to get that router detection
failure message.  I tried disabling rdisc and the 'FAILED' message went
away, and everything still works.  So, for now, I'll leave it disabled
until I discover what, if any, problem disabling it might cause.
owa