-mtune=nocona vs. -mtune=k8

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Apr 13 14:11:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 09:02 -0500, Justin Conover wrote:
> I'm just curious if that makes a difference in speed on amd64,  does
> mtune=nocona affect the way k8 processors perform.  Or do they for the
> most part have little effect.

The speed hit (if any) from -mtune=nocona on AMD64 is miniscule, which
cannot be said for using -mtune=k8/opteron/athon64 with Intel EM64T
processors, if I understand some of Jakub's past comments correctly.
Basically, k8+EM64T is worse than nocona+Opteron.  Jakub would be more
authoritative on this issue though.

Dan