net install questions

Al Kroeger owaugly at xmission.com
Thu Apr 14 23:03:35 UTC 2005

I have fc4t2 installed almost completely, now.  I installed it via net.
I first mounted bootdisc.iso in a directory I created in /boot called
fc4install.  I booted to that, and opted for http install.  I prefer the
graphic install, but this booted right to text install.  Did I miss a
prompt which might have allowed a choice of graphic?
The install went well, except I was unable to select any of the extras
with the text mode install.  Is this normal?
As a result of not being able to choose any extras at install, I've had
to 'yum install' them, one-by-one as I muddled through getting
everything to work.  This leads me to the real questions of this post;
1.  Is it possible to do a graphic install via net?
    a.  If so, when should I expect to see/make that choice?
2.  Is it possible to select extras in a text-mode install?
    a.  If so, when should I expect to see/make that choice?
Overall, the net install vs downloading and burning all five, including
rescue, discs saved about two hours and lotsa, lotsa bandwidth.....(I
had just received a warning from my ip that I was approaching the max
allowed for any one month.)
The jury is still out over my opinion of fc4.  I was finally able to
build a vanilla 2.6.11 kernel for my Win4Lin.  That was successful, but
I could not get xconfig to work, and had to use menuconfig.  I was able
to get my little setnumlock program to work.  That is more of a
piss-me-off-avoidance thing that a critically important thing.  It just
sets numlock on login.  I have RealPlayer10GOLD installed, and imported
my jazz-internet-radio selection list.  THAT was CRITICAL.  I was able
to install Mozilla-suite 1.7.6 installed, using the FC3 rpm's I imported
from my FC3 installation, and that's cool.  I know, Firefox/Thunderbird
is supposed to be the latest-greatest since the paper bag, but Moz suite
comes complete with all the j2re, java, quicktime, et al plugins in
moz-*.rpm form, so they get installed and work the first time without
the usual wrestling match of trying to get them installed and working
with Firefox.
I was able to import desktop backgrounds from my FC3 installation that
weren't included with FC4t2.  BUT, I sure would like to figure out
what's wrong with screensaver.  It tries to launch, but just hangs with
this cute yellow script of how it's trying to do whatever...... not a
biggie, just a pita.
So,..... that's where I am with this.  It's been fun, and a good
experience.... test distro and all.  The most annoying thing about this
mailing list is dumping all the trash-swiping-moronic bs over the
relative merits of lilo vs grub.  Get over it!  Get on with it!  Life's
a bitch, and then you die!  But this last outburst has nothing at all to
do with fc4, just a few of the juveniles shouting at each other via
mail-list.
owa