FC4t2 no good without LILO

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Apr 14 23:24:55 UTC 2005

> On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 08:06 -0600, Guy Fraser wrote:
> > You must be joking!
> >
> > New machines pretty mush only come with onboard SATA RAID
> > which you guys keep saying should never be used.
>
> Almost all that I've looked at provide the ability to disable the RAID
> subfeature of these chipsets in order to use them as straight SATA
> controllers.

I have only worked with a few, but non had an option to disable
RAID. In the manual they had ways to use drives as though they
weren't using RAID.

Example.
Setup one logical volume using the full size of only one drive.

Is that what you, you mean? That is how ASUS boards with Promise
controllers work. ASUS boards and Promise controllers are both
very much mainstream.

> > And older machines never had SATA.
> >
> > Make up your frickin minds.
>
> By SATA addon cards I'm talking about SATA PCI cards, not a chip on the
> motherboard.

I know, why would you consider there use to be non standard.

I know lots of people have more than two drives, and the SATA on
most motherboards only support two drives.

> > > That is quite possible.  You are correct in that most SATA cards
> > lack
> > > the ability to disable loading a BIOS.  SATA cards loading a BIOS
> > > overrides at times what is set in the motherboard BIOS for boot
> > order.
> >
> > I would have never guessed.
> >
> > What do you think people have been complaining about?
>
> Again, I'm speaking of SATA PCI cards, not the onboard SATA chips of
> today's motherboards.  SATA PCI cards for the most part have been POS
> things that only cause problems, regardless of boot loaders.

Maybe in your universe, we have been using them in FreeBSD
servers for over a year and haven't had any problems. I have
been using mine with Fedora for over a year and the only
problems I've had were with GRUB.

...snip...

> > I usually prefer to move all my PCI cards around every time I
> > upgrade a hard drive. Are you saying that is not a good idea?
>
> I don't follow.

That was a joke. Sorry, I figured you would get it without the :-).