Cannot Install FC4 Test2?

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Sat Apr 16 20:26:32 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 13:36 -0400, James E. LaBarre wrote:
> Shawn Hayden wrote:
> > I downloaded the ISO for i386, and verfied the checksum.
> >
> > I boot to the Cdrom, and at the first prompt to install fedora or
> > change boot parameters, nothing happens when I press enter.
> >
> > A "." shows up.
> >
> > If I try and type any other boot parameters, the letters travel down
> > the left side of the screen. Very strange behavior.
> >
> > I am using a Dell C600 laptop.
>
> I am curious if you aree using the CD or DVD images.  I have downloaded
> the DVD image dwice (once from a mirror, the second time through
> BitTorrent).  The first image I burned twice, and neither was able to
> install, failing early into the install (the first disk would not even
> get as far as the disk test feature).
>
> Both downloads *passed* their sha1sum checks.  I burned the first one
> through Nautilus ("Write to CD"), the second through K3b, which *failed*
> the disk in verification mode.
>
> To eliminate any problems with my CD burner. I tested the second
> download by booting the DVD image within a VMware session, and had it do
>   a disk verification there; that verification *failed*
>
> My only conclusion is that the DVD image, as being distributed, is
> itself defective.  I have tested multiple image sources, multiple HW
> configurations (ThinkPad T41 & VMware 5.0), and effectively 3 different
> "write" methods (counting the mounting of the disk image in VMW as a write).
>
> I will have to grab the CD images to see what happens that way.

Hi,
I have successfully installed FC4T2 from DVD on 3+ machines
i386 on Athlon64 and Athlon32 machines
Also FC4T2 VMware client with FC4T2 host
x86-64 on Athlon64
No install problems
The sha2sum is OK but Anaconda gives a failure which I ignored.
I read the DVD to a file using xcdroast and did a cmp image.iso
with the xcdroast read.
It was identical up to the EOF on image.iso so just assumed
extra something is written at the end to fill up a
block/cylinder/whatever DVDs have.

Used growisofs -Z /dev/scd0=image.iso to write the DVD
John