text login as default?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 19:34:41 UTC 2005

On 4/18/05, Kyrre Ness Sjobak <kyrre at solution-forge.net> wrote:
> Aha. But still it is "unstandard". Bad. Should just be install -> play.
> No more futz.

Well.. if you are content with telling me what macromedia.. err i mean
adobe "should" be doing with their proprietary closed source
products... why stop there? Why not just come out and say they
"should" be creating open source products. That solves the whole issue
of the need to present users with a click-through agreement.

Click through license agreements are a fact of life when using and
installing proprietary software. You either do it before you download,
or you do it on install, or you do it as part of usage. You can stomp
your feet and shake your fist at how bad click-through mechanisms are
while sermonizing in front of the choir, but you aren't accomplishing
much.  However way you would prefer macromedia present its click
through license to you, write macromedia about it and convince them.
The solution we have now, is a compromise between macromedia's
interests and the constraints of the rpm packaging format. If you can
get macromedia to agree to allow re-packaging without the
click-through mechanisms, please do so. In a world without perfect
solutions... I'll take the "bad" of a timeout license window popup
over the "bad" of no legally distributable rpm packages for macromedia
flash... at least until there is a mature opensource flash
implementation to nuture and support.

-jef