rawhide report: 20050420 changes

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Apr 21 01:33:55 UTC 2005

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 12:18 -0400, Ken Nordquist wrote:
>
>>I received this message when installing
>>kernel-devel-2.6.11-1.1251_FC4.x86_64:
>>
>>Failed to mmap
>>/usr/src/kernels/2.6.11-1.1251_FC4-x86_64/./include/config/MARKER
>>Failed to mmap ./include/config/MARKER

Same  problem noted here. I also observed that these errors referenced
kernel versions that I no longer have on this system. The error seems to
be related to kernel-devel because the errors included an uninstalled
kernel, however the devel packages ae never removed.

kernel-devel-2.6.11-1.1236_FC4 - error referenced
kernel-devel-2.6.11-1.1238_FC4 - need to manually remove
kernel-devel-2.6.11-1.1240_FC4
kernel-devel-2.6.11-1.1251_FC4

vs.

  rpm -q kernel
kernel-2.6.11-1.1240_FC4
kernel-2.6.11-1.1251_FC4

Another datapoint concerns compiling vmware where the later kernels
would lock up th system after the act of compiling the modules.

>>On reboot, I saw two errors for udev, but they went by so quickly I
>>cannot tell you more.  After logging in to my user account, I found I
>>could not "see" past my NIC.  I could not ping anything which needed
>>name resolution - unfortunately I was not smart enough to try to ping an
>>ip address.  Running ifconfig showed nothing unusual and the boot log
>>did not reveal the udev error I saw upon boot.  I subsequently
>>uninstalled the 1251 kernel and all is well again.

> I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure that these issues
> are related to your network problems as it works for me.

Running 1251 without network problems surrounding connectivity also.

Jim

--
We are the people our parents warned us about.