Firefox Plugin Problems Redux

Ken Nordquist ken at geekystuff.net
Thu Apr 21 22:20:39 UTC 2005

Hey Y'all...

I too am having plugin problems with Firefox.  I am using the x86_64
arch.  I am not a newbie to Linux or Redhat/Fedora and I am puzzled and
could use some insight.

First, I installed mozplugger and Firefox sees it just fine.  So I tried
linking the java library to the same directory
(/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins), deleted my pluginreg.dat and fired up
Firefox again...  but when I put in 'about:plugins' all I saw/see is
mozplugger.  I then tried linking to other potential directories
(/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, /usr/lib64/mozilla-1.7.6/plugins,
~/.mozilla/plugins, and /usr/lib64/mozilla-1.7.6/plugins) all to no avail.

After banging my head on the Firefox wall, I decided to install Mozilla
and see what happened.  Voila, it works...  using
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.  I am particularly puzzled why mozplugger
shows, but no other plugins show.  I have not enabled selinux on this
box yet so I am fairly confident it is not a selinux issue.  Also, I can
uninstall and reinstall mozplugger and watch it come and go from
Firefox's 'about:plugins'.  I even renamed my ~/.mozilla directory so it
would be recreated to see if that made a difference (and it did not).

Any and all input is solicited and appreciated.

Regards,

Ken Nordquist

PS.  In the near future I will be initiating a flamewar on why gnuchess
and xboard are no longer FC core items.