notebook fan runs on idle system

Sean Bruno sean.bruno at dsl-only.net
Sat Apr 23 00:38:34 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 01:03 +0200, Ziga Mahkovec wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 14:52 -0500, Martin wrote:
> > Since upgrading from FC3 to FC4.2 plus rawhide updates, my Centrino
> > notebook fan is very audible compared to it being silent in FC3  when
> > the system is mostly idle.
> >
> > [...]
>
> Maybe your CPU runs at the maximum frequency even when idle.  Check
> with:
>
> $ grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
> model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1500MHz
> cpu MHz         : 598.086
>
> Do you have any of the frequency governors installed?  cpuspeed should
> work fine.  Make sure the "centrino" driver is specified
> in /etc/cpuspeed.conf and that the cpuspeed service is running.  There's
> also a nifty GNOME applet, if you feel like setting the frequency
> manually.
>
> --
> Ziga

I don't think that this has anything to do with(could be wrong
though).

Mine seems to be doing the same thing.  Fan running pretty constantly
with not a lot going on.

I went ahead and did the items that you suggested:

[sean at homebox ~]$ grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz
cpu MHz         : 599.542

Also, my /etc/cpuspeed.conf:

VMAJOR=1
VMINOR=1

# uncomment this and set to the name of your CPUFreq module
#DRIVER="powernow-k7"

# Let background (nice) processes speed up the cpu
OPTS="$OPTS -n"

# Add your favorite options here
#OPTS="$OPTS -s 0 -i 10 -r"

# uncomment and modify this to check the state of the AC adapter
#OPTS="$OPTS -a /proc/acpi/ac_adapter/*/state"

# uncomment and modify this to check the system temperature
#OPTS="$OPTS -t /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/temperature 75"

Since I have no idea what I am doing either, should any of this be
modified?  I didn't see anything like this in FC3, so it must be some
kind of change in FC4.

Sean