CD boot problem with FC4test1 AND test2

Oliver Kahl kahlriab at mailbox.tu-berlin.de
Sat Apr 23 21:31:24 UTC 2005

Since nobody else have post problems with the boot process,
execpt people with a dell c600 laptop a one other, I would
ask this way.

Is there anybody else, who don´t saw the "boot:" promt
from the installation/help menue after boot from the
first cd, and/or results in an dot "." in the next line
afer press any key?

Some of the dicussions about this you can found here:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-April/msg01347.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-April/msg00959.html

After a few tests, I think the problem could be brake
down to the point, that it doesen´t work with the actually
version of isolinux 3.07 for the boot process.

It can be a problem with a bug/incompatibility in the dell´s
BIOS, but I´m also found this guy with a complete differen hardware,
an Via C3 system, more about this found here:
http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2005-March/004967.html
http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2005-April/005012.html

>>> I don´t know if the newer version 3.08 pre XXX fix this, but
with a substitution of ISOLINUX 2.11 FROM AN OLDER FC3
installation cd I could SOLVE THIS PROBLEM completely! <<<
Only the change of the isolinux.bin file is enough.

So my question for the fedora team. Is it very nessesary to
use the newer version of isolinux or is it possible to go
one step back to an 2.xx version? I know, since 3.xx there
where many new thinks added but did we realy need them?
Many other distributions use the 2.xx tree.

Oliver Kahl