[fc3] ntpd issue with SELinux and dm

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Tue Apr 26 13:17:42 UTC 2005

Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> Davide Rossetti wrote:
>> 17:28:54 connect(9, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"},
>> 110) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
>> 17:28:54 close(9)                       = 0
>> 17:28:54 --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
>> 17:28:54 +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
>>
>> the signal is async as I saw it fail in other points as well...

> This is trying to write to a user_home_dir_t?
> What does
> ls -laZ /var/run/nscd
> show?

As you can see in the strace, ntpd segfaults and I guess, a core file would be written to the homedir, if that
would have been allowed.

If I switched of random stack, ntpd worked most of the time. There definetly is a stack overflow somewhere in
ntpd.

Ah! I debugged ntpd and there was a point about hostname lookup, where it frequently failed.
Could it be, that the glibc does not handle some connection problems to nscd?
Or is the selinux policy to strict, so that ntpd cannot resolve hostnames via nscd?