FC3 packages left over after upgrade to FC4

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Fri Apr 29 16:33:46 UTC 2005

i've been having all sorts of sporadic problems where yum won't install
new updates ... because of supposed dependencies. I wondered if that has
contributed to my problem with ACPI all of a sudden generating tens of
megabytes of syslog entries about my laptop screen.

A "yum list" of all installed packages turned up about 100 packages that
appear to be left over from FC3 ... and hadn't been deleted in the FC4
upgrade (there were 100 packages that had both an earlier version and a
later version). Manually going thru all 100 and deleting the earlier
version seems to have eliminated various YUM error messages about not
being able to apply various packages (because of conflicting
dependencies) ... but that still hasn't stopped the ACPI syslog message
flood on my laptop machine.