NFS lockup error

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 20:43:45 UTC 2005

On 4/30/05, William <wyount at watervalley.net> wrote:
> After running the updates from Friday around 3pm, I seem to be crashing on
> bootup. Everything looks fine until it gets to clvmd. It fails to load,
> which is no big deal but then it goes to a black screen. It stays on this
> black screen for a minute or two and then I hit CTRL-ALT-Delete. It will
> bring me back to the Services screen and says "NFS lockup:      [Failed]."
> It then sits there for about 30 seconds and goes back to the black screen. I
> give it a few minuts and then hit CTRL-ALT-Delete again and it doesn't do
> anything. I have to manually shut down the computer. I have tried previous
> kernels.

I've seen similar bootup issues.. but the nfs lock service failure
isnt the problem afaict. Its most likely related to a service that is
starting on your system after the nfslock service runs.  I was able to
get past my bootup problems by trial and error disabling services one
at a time, until I could get a full bootup working again.
try to boot into runlevel 3 and see how far it gets
reboot into runlevel 1 and disable the service next in the list after
the last message seen
reboot into runlevel 3 and see how far it gets.....
on and on till you get all the way into the system.

I had to do this repeatedly and it appears that multiple services were
causing bootup problems for me.I have NOT disabled the nfslock service
as part of my troubleshooting effort.
my nfslock service still boots with a failure, but I can now boot
after disabling a number of other services.  I still need to go back
and try to reproduce the problem by re-enabling services that I turned
off.  Here is the list of services I turned off, some of these might
not be a problem I still need to go back and try to reproduce the
bootup errors with each package to be sure:

ccsd
cman
fenced
gfs