A record number of breakages?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 13:08:47 UTC 2005

On 8/17/05, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
>         Here's a thought - if the daily rawhide report comes with a list of
> broken dependencies, it probably wouldn't take much for it to also
> include the yum command line needed to update everything not affected by
> the broken deps.

In general this is not going to work... because if you have any
package installed that is not from Core development it could be a
broken dep that the rawhide report is not aware of.
How many people running rawhide are running without atleast one extras package?

There is a 3rd option... some enterprising shell-scripter could screen
scrape the output of a local run of repoclosure finding all the broken
deps for all the configured repos and the build a yum command from
that output.  Such a script would be much more usable to a lot of
people eating Core+Extras development than just the command for
rawhide's broken deps.   Still not a perfect solution because the
repomanage script won't notice broken deps for installed packages that
aren't in an enabled repo.

> Or yum itself could have a --exclude-broken-deps ...

Are you volunteering to hack that in?  Is this a good candidate
feature for the new-ish  yum plugin feature?  Doing it this way would
be able to the "orphaned" packages installed on the system that are
not part of an enabled repo, but I think perhaps once you start trying
to deal with orphaned packages on the system at all you probably open
yourself up to some more complicated situations.  A dirty little shell
script that processes the output of repomanage locally will take care
of the vast majority of the issues that can be traced back to
inconsistent Core+Extras+whatever-else-a-person-has-enabled-repos.

-jef