Click links in Evolution and other gnome apps

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Sat Aug 20 21:55:24 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 09:55 -0400, John Ellson wrote:
> Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> Personally I like that applications open tabs in an existing browser if
> available.
> I don't think it will take long for users to adjust to this idea.
>
> However, I do agree that opening multiple tabs from the same application
> is a pain.  There should be some support for named "targets" such that
> an application
> can reuse a tab that it had previously opened.    IMHO.

Okay, maybe I didn't explain myself.  My problem is not with these links
opening in a tab, it's with these links opening in a browser on another
workspace leaving no clear indication that something has happened, and
also leaving the user with a search for the browser window that the page
opened in.

Consider a situation where the user has half a dozen browser windows
opened on other desktops and then has to search each desktop to find out
which one the link opened in.  This is insane.

If there is no browser window on the current desktop, then firefox
should open a window on that desktop.  If this can't be done, then
firefox should just open in a new window each time.

The current behavior is crazy.  What happens when you click on a link
should be obvious and easy to access.  You shouldn't have to know you
might have to search your other desktops for the results, because the
outcome should be on that desktop.

This sort of thing can be done on the gnome desktop.  Consider the
behavior of gedit when opening a file.  If gedit already has a window
open on the desktop, double clicking a file on the desktop will open it
in a new tab inside the gedit window on that desktop (not in gedit
windows on other desktops).  If gedit doesn't have a window open on that
desktop, it open one, even if other gedit windows exist on other
desktops.  Try it.  Firefox should do the same thing.

Rodd
 It's much better on my side"