Kernel 2.6.14-1.1719 to 2.6.14-1.1740

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Dec 7 18:06:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 11:56:12AM +0000, Matt Carter wrote:
 > Hi Guy
 >
 > Currently I have one working kernel on my system 2.6.14-1.1715, on the
 > other Kernels I get Udev freeze. I added a "set -x" and "echo $1" to
 > my rc.sysinit to see what was causing the hang. I got this:
 >
 > +echo floppy
 > floppy
 > modprobe floppy
 >
 > This is when it hangs, my laptop has no floppy or floppy controller.
 > So i "#" out modprobe floppy from the rc.sysinit script and it got a
 > little further, but then it froze on:
 >
 > +echo echi-hcd
 > ehci+hcd
 > +modprobe ehci-hcd
 >
 > Any one else having problems like this? I have been reporting it on
 > bugzilla (174270) wondered if anyone else had any luck fixing the
 > issue?

you could alias floppy off in the modprobe.conf, but that just hides
the real problem.  I'm puzzled as to why this is suddenly causing
big problems, as the diffs in the floppy driver between 'works'
and 'broken' kernels are really benign.  It's a victim of some other
change, but what that change is is a mystery to me at the moment.

		Dave