64 bit and installing libraries.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Dec 8 11:51:58 UTC 2005

Paul writes:

> Hi,
>
> One thing I've noticed since the move to 64 bit is that if I compile say
> wxWidgets, the libraries generated are installed into /usr/lib rather
> than /usr/lib64 (or /usr/local/lib - /usr/local/lib64 if I don't specify
> --prefix=/usr).
>
> Is there any harm in this or a way to prevent the libs being placed in
> the /lib as opposed to /lib64 directories automagically?

If the software uses autoconf, the --libdir parameter to the configure
script will specify where shared libraries should be installed.

There's no real harm in placing libraries in /lib instead of /lib64, however
you should not be doing this anyway.

You should always be installing software with rpm.  If the software doesn't
have a specfile, write on yourself.  If you don't know how to write rpm
specfiles, learn it.

Otherwise you:

• Maybe accidentally overwriting files installed by other packages

• Have nothing that would prevent an ordinary upgrade of other system
packages removing critical files required by your manually-installed
software, without notice.  rpm cannot track required dependencies by
software that you did not install with rpm.

• Have nothing that would prevent an ordinary upgrade of other system
packages from overwriting files that you've installed yourself, for the same
reasons.