x86_64 problems with yum, anaconda, sound fonts and xmms

Demond James maestronn at wowway.com
Thu Dec 8 20:01:30 UTC 2005

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 17:42 +0000, Paul wrote:
>
>> I've found that the install wasn't sane. I tried to remove dbus-qt and
>> had back that it referred to multiple packages. When I checked using rpm
>> -qa, two copies of the same rpm had been installed. I've found this has
>> happened with a number of packages.
>>

> For a while now, the default way that yum works is that if you don't
> specify an arch on a multi-arch system, all available arches are
> installed.  So if you simply did 'yum install xmms' it will install
> xmms.i386 and xmms.x86_64 as well as the depchain for both.  If you
> wished to only have the 64bit version, yum install xmms.x86_64.   It
> pays to pay attention to the yum output and make sure it is doing what
> you want.  -y leads to discoveries later of 'how the heck did that
> happen?'.

Actually I had this issue also and was two of the same package (same
arch and all) one was the older version that was supposed to be
removed.  Also, reading through this list I see that several people had
the same issue.  Perhaps there was a rawhide update that caused yum not
to complete the update process thus never getting to the clean: stage.

Demond