Debugging a gnome desktop

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sat Dec 10 09:46:11 UTC 2005

Hi,

There is probably a simple answer to this, but I need to debug my
desktop. The reason is simple. My machine is a right beast; tonnes of
memory, 64 bit architecture, masses of HD space - it's a stonker that
weighs a tonne. However, the desktop is generally quite slow to update.
I started noticing this before the upgrade to 64 bit, and originally
thought it was an X bug (and even filed it as such).

Is there any way I can trace why (say) windows won't drag off screen and
the refresh after closing a full screen window is slow? I have a GF4
card in the machine and am using the Xorg driver for it.

TTFN

Paul
--
"Religion is the opiate of the masses" - Karl Marx
"Mmmmmm, mass opiates...." - Homer Simpson