rawhide report: 20051216 changes

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Dec 16 23:07:08 UTC 2005

> kernel-2.6.14-1.1767_FC5
> ------------------------
> * Thu Dec 15 2005 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
> - 2.6.15-rc5-git5
>
> * Wed Dec 14 2005 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
> - 2.6.15-rc5-git4
> - Try 'optimise for size' again.
> - Silence noisy CD drives that spew msgs when probed whilst empty.
>
> * Tue Dec 13 2005 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
> - 2.6.15-rc5-git3
> - Use MMIO instead of PIO for 8139too

FC5 seems keen to get me to run the smp kernel (I'm on a uniprocessor
machine without hyperthreading).  I've noticed with this update (since
the smp kernel runs - the one that came with the original install
didn't) that the smp kernel seems to be noticeably slower than the
non-smp kernel.

> selinux-policy-2.1.6-4
> ----------------------
> * Wed Dec 14 2005 Dan Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> 2.1.5-4
> - Fixes to allow automount to use portmap
> - Fixes to start kernel in s0-s15:c0.c255

I'm not getting any of the kernels installed to boot without adding a
selinux=0 to the boot process.  I don't think this is kernel related,
but something to do with selinux.  The kernels get to the point where X
starts and the cursor appears and then nothing else happens.  Dropping
to the vt (CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE) shows the hardware initialized, and then
no further progress.

Rodd

 It's much better on my side"