Plan for the Holidays

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Dec 21 00:14:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 11:02 +1100, Reuben Farrelly wrote:
> A whole lot of stuff in -extras development hasn't been rebuilt for months and
> months either - some as far back as March/April (look at perl-* modules in
> extras for an example).  No doubt there are various dependency issues there too.
>
> Can this be looked at as well?  I'm sure packages in extras would also benefit
> from a rebuild with newer gcc and therefore wider testing over the break.
>
> Extras really does look like a second rate citizen if everything in rawhide is
> rebuilt for a new gc(c|j)/openssl but packages in extras are left untouched for
> months...

Extras is maintained by the individual package maintainers.  It is up to
them to keep their packages updated.  This is usually the way it works
inside Red Hat as well, however when we release a new GCC so close to
the freeze date, I step in to autobump the packages when possible.
There isn't really somebody to do this for all of Extras, nor would
extras maintainers be all that welcome for it as a whole.  Extras
tracking rawhide is pretty tough as things change so rapidly.  However
during the holidays would be a good time for extras maintainers to
rebase their packages off the current rawhide.  Also during the freeze
and just after a test release would be another good time for Extras
maintainers to rebuild their packages.

Extras is only as second rate as the maintainers (community) makes it.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora