Why are software raid devices being renamed?

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Wed Dec 21 00:39:54 UTC 2005

Didn't "reply all" originally....my original reply to Mr. Jones is
below.  Sorry for the confusion....

Peter Jones wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 11:48 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>> Since about mkinitrd-5.0.11, software raidsets are being created in /dev
>> during initrd with the name /dev/md_dn where n is the number of the
>> raidset instead of /dev/mdn.  This is causing all sorts of problems from
>> the worst being kernel panics and the least being raidsets not being
>> mounted in fstab.
>
> You're still the *only* person I've seen reporting this.  Are you sure
> something else in your environment hasn't changed?
>
> (Also, you're sending mail with reply-to: clydekunkel7734 at redhat.com,
> which is certainly broken.)

Other folks have seen this also.  I believe they have reported in
169059.  The only thing that I can think that may be influencing this
besides religious updating with rawhide is that the two systems I am
having trouble with are multi-boot.  I have tried very hard to keep the
different distros separate.  Could they possibly write something to the
disks that is foreign to FC?  Also, why would reverting mkinitrd back to
5.0.10 eliminate the problem?  There must be a clue there.  I am sorry
that I am not better at troubleshooting.  I have been studying the nash
code best I can, but not being a programmer, it is hard going even using
some C books that I have.  I would like to help resolve this and am
doing the best I can to provide information.

My mail reply to address is deliberately broken to avoid spambots from
using it.  Just remove "munged" from the @cox.mungednet.

--
Regards,

Old Fart