ext3 Filessyten in FC5-Test incompatible with other FC or RHEL versions

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Dec 22 11:51:44 UTC 2005

Dr. Günter Schmidt wrote:
> I have a multi boot system with FC5-TEST, FC3, RH9 and Centos4 (RHEL4
> clone).
> The /boot and /home are common to all OS's. Since I installed FC5 I can
> not access anymore
> the common partitions if I boot into the older systems.
> Is there any solution to that problem.
>
> Any help is welcome,
> thanks
>  Günter

If I recall, there was a change in the ext2 utilities from FC3 to FC4
which fsils with earlier distro created partitions.

I believe you need to disable filechecking with the entries in your
fstab  file. That is, change the last two digits in your older distros
to zero.
Alternatively, you could mount the other OS partitions whenever you need
to access the files on the common partitions..

Are you talking about a common /home partition?

Jim

--
Time sure flies when you don't know what you're doing.