Verifying rpms as root compared to user - missing files

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Fri Dec 23 13:41:57 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette wrote:
> After reinstalling a lot of packages that failed verification for
> missing elements due to the earlier problem, the below rpms still show
> missing (just two entries as root, many more as user, not visible to user)
>
> missing     /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/global/content
> missing     /var/cache/foomatic
>
> How would one get these two missing files installed? I tried several
> options to rpm on the yum downloaded rpms. --replacefiles -replacepkgs,
> totally removing and reinstalling the rpms. Removing the rpms, cheaning
> the directories where the files live, but no luck.
>
> Rpm verification as user sent me on a wild goose chase. (firestarter,
> chrooted stuff and the like.)
>
> Jim

Funny enough, i stumbled across exactly those verify "errors" yesterday.

The problem lies in the postscripts that are run from those packages.
Mozilla runs /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.8/mozilla-rebuild-databases.pl which
basically removes everything in
/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.12/chrome/overlayinfo/ and recreates it from
scratch. Foomatic has this as the first few lines of it's postinstall
script:

if [ -d /var/cache/foomatic ] ; then
    /bin/rm -rf /var/cache/foomatic
fi

So, no wonder /var/cache/foomatic is missing after an install/updateb ;)

For mozilla, i'm nor sure what can/should be done. For foomatic otoh it
would be much better to remove the contents of /var/cache/foomatic only,
not the complete directory.

Read ya, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch      | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Development          | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111