[libXScrnSaver] Is “Requires.private” really needed?

Dawid Gajownik gajownik at fedora.pl
Sat Dec 24 15:25:38 UTC 2005

Hi!

	I wanted to update gajim in Fedora Extras but libXScrnSaver-devel has
broken dependencies. `pkg-config --libs xscrnsaver' command gives this
output:

Package x11 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `x11.pc'
Package 'x11', required by 'XScrnSaver', not found

	Before reporting this in Bugzilla I wanted to ask about one question.
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/xscrnsaver.pc file contains this line:

Requires.private: x11 xext

	If I understand pkg-config's manpage correctly, “Requires.private” and
“Libs.private” are only needed in the case of static linking. Am I
right? If yes, maybe it would be better to comment this line out to not
to add unnecessary dependency bloat? (X.org X11 libs in Rawhide do not
provide static libs.) Here's the proposal patch →
http://wiki.fedora.pl/gajownik/xorg/libXScrnSaver-private.patch

Comments?

BTW Merry Christmas!

--