AW: Re: AW: Re: ext3 Filessyten in FC5-Test incompatible with other FC or RHEL versions

Günter Schmidt gsc.news at online.de
Sun Dec 25 06:48:46 UTC 2005

Dr. Günter Schmidt wrote:

>>need

>>>The latest FC4 update kernel can read MLS labelled filesystems without
>>>

>>problem.
>>

>>>I've not checked FC3, that one might be a little more tricky, as the compat
>>>

>>code
>>

>>>requires changes that have happened post 2.6.12 (where FC3 is currently
>>>

>>sat).
>>

>>>Given the effort required to make that work, the limited time remaining in
>>>

>>the
>>

>>>FC3 lifetime, and the low general appeal of such a feature, it probably
>>>

>>won't
>>

>>>get fixed
>>>

>>given that even RHEL4 can't get compatibility code.. why go through this
>>pain in the first place? Is MLS a compelling enough feature for fedora
>>to go through this pain? Is it even used for something or by someone in
>>the first place?
>>

>This would also meen the upcomming RHEL5 (derived from FC5) will be incompatible
>with RHEL4 (derived from FC3) and RHLE3 (derived from RH9).
>
>The user friendly version would be not to change an existing partition during boot
>time without a warning.
>
>As current solution I can only backup my boot and home partitions, format them
>under centos4, restore the data and forget FC5.

In the meantime I found out, that I have in Centos4 already a newer
kernel (2.6.9-22.0.1.EL)
which allows the access to my /home and /boot partitions, but as the
/boot was not accessible
while I did the 'up2date' the new kernel was not added to grub.conf.
After manual add and reboot
I am back again in my 'normal system.

Thanks for all comments

Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year