#prelink# semi-disaster

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Dec 26 17:34:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 12:18:32PM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> >On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 10:08:28PM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
> >
> >>Deleting all of the #prelink#<random> from /tmp left one obviously
> >>broken symlink to /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
> >
> >If in such moment you will rerun 'ldconfig' then all correct links
> >should be created.  Indeed, this is not precisely obvious.
>
> Would I run this against the entire /usr/lib directory or just against
> the particular library where the problem was encountered?

You can just type 'ldconfig' and that is all.  It does not take very
long.  Obviously after removing "bad prelink leftovers".  You may be
more spefic if you wish.

> locate '#prelink#' presently returns no transitional libraries. At the
> time the problem was encountered, there were about 5 returned libraries
> that returned results.

I have seen something of that sort but I do not know how to
reproduce it.  Possibly by reboot while prelink is running. This may
happen as prelink is running from cron, which may mean anacron, and
you may be not aware that this is happening.  A test installation is
likely to be rebooted quite often.

   Michal