2.6.15rc kernel packages for FC4.

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 29 19:59:40 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 18:31 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 29.12.2005, 17:25 +0100 schrieb Patrick:
> > Yup it works for me but only after a kernel recompile with the DSDT
> > patch added so that during boot the kernel looks for a new (fixed) DSDT
> > in the initrd and loads that one. Iirc Dave was not interested in adding
> > the patch to the kernel for support reasons [...]
>
> That's true afaik. But what IMHO is more important: Upstream doesn't
> want it, too. See:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=9175150

I respectfully disagree with Len Brown that "DSDT overrides are for
developers, not end-users, not customers". I want all the stuff on my
laptop to work and if it takes a DSDT override so be it. Pointless since
he decided against it but nevertheless.

> Those that have problems with ACPI/DSDT IMHO should fill bugs in the
> kernel bugzilla to get the damn acpi interpreter fixed. Nothing is
> getting better in the long term if everybody privately works around
> problems and uses a patched firmware without fixing the underlying
> problems.

I thought that the DSDT lives in the board's bios. How would a fix to an
interpreter solve problems if the DSDT itself contains the error(s)?
E.g. the DSDT on my Acer 4005 with bios 3a23 needs "Z00I" replaced with
"Z001" in two places. Don't see how an interpreter-fix could solve this
typo but maybe I totally misunderstand something.

> Or convince the kernel developers that patching the dsdt is the best
> solution and that the dsdt-in-initrd-patch needs to be merged into the
> kernel. Maybe then it's getting enabled in Fedora.

No idea how to do that.

Regards,
Patrick