fc5 kernels after 1788 have excessive, kernel overhead

Andy Burns fedora-test at adslpipe.co.uk
Sat Dec 31 23:09:33 UTC 2005

Dave Jones wrote:

> my people page will have a new kernel with it turned off in about
> an hour (buildsys permitting).

Got it thanks, you can certainly feel the difference :-)
my previous wget now gets an "expected" 11.1MB/s and eats about 25% CPU
(which feels a bit on the high side)

One weird note though, I accidentally installed the 1806 uniprocessor
i686 kernel, and when it booted it didn't see the SATA drives

ata1 is slow to respond, please be patient
ata1 failed to respond (30 secs)
scsi0 : ahci
ata2 is slow to respond, please be patient
ata2 failed to respond (30 secs)
scsi1 : ahci

http://adslpipe.co.uk/nosata.jpg it happened twice so no fluke.

I suppose the subsequent panic is justified given that it didn't see the
disks, but why would it not see them? I rebooted back to 1805 smp i686
kernel, installed 1806 smp i686 kernel and now all is well, I can double
check the uniprocessor result if required ...