preferences - I don't get it

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Feb 3 00:58:19 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 02:14:39PM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 23:32 -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
>
> > Is all the above just unfinished yet a version transition or some
> > kind of an elaborate joke?  If this is a joke then I do not get it.
>
> 	Moving Applications -> Desktop Preferences to Desktop -> Preferences is
> intentional and the result of much upstream discussion.

This is not a big issue per se.  What I strongly dislike though is
that "custom menu" is getting longer and longer.  Think about
somebody with a poorer sight who really needs much bigger letters,
and add on the top of it a translation to some language where
descriptions tend to be more verbose, although "Applications" is not
a four letter word either, and you ate much of a panel.  Multiple
panels are not a universal option.  I would like to have at least a
possibility to replace these "headers" with some, even abstract,
icons.  Tools to customize menus, at last, would be nice too.

> 	However, any missing menu items or menu items that you feel shouldn't
> be in the menu are probably just teething issues which you should log
> against redhat-menus. Before you do so, though, make sure you have the
> very latest gnome-menus and that the gnome-menus package isn't
> installing any .menu or .directory files.

At this moment this seem to be a somewhat mess.  Old redhat-menus
and new gnome-menus, which was all what was available yesterday,
collide a bit and that is why I was just asking what is going on.
Quite possibly things will get more orderly in short time.

OTOH this "MTA Switcher" on a menu left me scratching my head.  How
often do you perform such operation?  Every second day, once a week,
once a year or once in a blue moon after careful consideration of
pros and cons?  And the fact that it even works for a non-root and
without any password got me floored.  Somebody may even use it in a
full innocence not realizing what s/he is doing. How this may
happen?

   Michal