FC4 for servers

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Feb 5 23:49:49 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 14:47 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> %packages
> %post
> yum remove stuff-you-don't-want
>
> is that proof enough?

No, definitely not. Using another tool in the %post section to remove
packages is (other than by automation) no different at all from
installing a minimal install via kickstart and then running a simple
script to use yum or rpm to remove the packages. You have not used
*kickstart* to select the packages... you have accepted whatever
kickstart would give you and then trimmed "manually."

You are no farther ahead than we. Note, for example, that you will need
the full 570MB of space available for this install, even if you then
trim it down to 200MB. You could not install onto a 256MB flash card,
for example, or even onto a 512MB flash card.

What we seek is, ideally, a much slimmer minimal install package list in
the first place. Failing that, or pending that, we seek to actually be
able to use kickstart to install fewer packages such that Anaconda
actually only installs the 200MB you want, instead of installing 570MB
then deleting 370MB.

Care to try again? You have no idea how happy I'd be if you succeed, but
sadly (AFAIAC) your first attempt is most definitely not a success.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>